Skip to main content

Belmont Top Four Spoiler Chances

I know how hard the Triple Crown is to accomplish, and with everyone seeming to write Chrome off as the next Secretariat I decided to give my opinion on who could play spoiler this Saturday. These are my opinions on the best chances to score in the Belmont, and end the dream of Chrome. I want a Triple Crown winner as much as the next guy, but I have to be reasonable with his not so stamina rich pedigree, and his obvious shortening of stride in the Derby I don't he will take the Belmont. No matter how much I want him to win I can't ignore the obvious he may be a really good horse in a weak crop. Really good horses in weak crops don't win the Belmont take a look at Big Brown who was very much in the same boat in 2008 and he didn't even run a step on Belmont day. I'm not getting my hopes up this time and these four spoiler chances are the the ones I'll be betting on this Saturday.




1. Wicked Strong
Hard Spun- Moyne Abbey by Charismatic

He gets the top pick to spoil due to how he has looked on the training track at Belmont. I have not seen him do any better than he is doing right now, and his pedigree suggests that he should definitely get the mile and a half. His closing style will also move him forward in the Belmont; not to mention Belmont is his home track and that has proven to be dangerous in the past. This horse though he will be short priced he has the best chance to spoil the Chrome party.


2. Commissioner
A.P Indy- Flaming Heart by Touch Gold

Another that figures to be a long-shot here in the Belmont with his magnificent closing ability, and very deep stamina laden pedigree this colt has a huge shot in the Belmont, and at a nice price. He is the type of horse that can beat you anywhere on the track which makes him incredibly dangerous, and though he may not have qualified for the Derby he certainly will fit in here, and after a very improved second in the Peter Pan I figure this one has a huge chance to play spoiler in the Belmont. His daddy won the Belmont in 1992 and his dam sire won the Belmont in 1997 there is no doubt he will get the mile and a half, and with Todd Pletcher handling this one it would not surprise me in the least if he wears the carnations this Saturday.

3. Ride On Curlin
Curlin- Magical Ride by Storm Cat

I worry slightly about his bottom side being lacking majorly in the stamina department, but with Curlin on top he may balance out nicely and handle the mile and a half. He also has bounced out of the Preakness very well judging by photos and videos I have seen of him. He is a very talented young colt and though he may not win here he can definitely spoil the Triple Crown party if he's feeling good and on the muscle.

4. General A Rod
Roman Ruler- Dynamite Eyes by Dynaformer

He is a hard knocking horse and one that refuses to quit. I don't worry to much about the distance because he is able to run from anywhere on the racetrack. He also ran a very solid race in the Preakness and with the time to relax and get into a rhytm he may actually be able to pull a shocker here. He also picks up Rosie Napravnik which can only help his chances here. He will be a longshot on Saturday and he's one of the few remaining that actually have the pedigree to get and love a mile and a half.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triple Crown Reactions

I got into horse racing way back in 2004 thanks to a plucky little chestnut horse named Smarty Jones who swept through the Kentucky Derby and Preakness with devastating ease I thought for sure even with my limited horse racing knowledge at that time that he would be racings 12th Triple Crown winner. My hopes were dashed as another plucky little colt named Birdstone swept on by him and dashed all my hopes in that final heartbreaking furlong.  The Triple Crown is part of what fueled my love for this sport at such a young age, and after Smarty Jones I spent most of my life thinking I would never have the privilege to witness a Triple Crown winner. So when American Pharoah came along I relished every hoofbeat, every race-call, and every heart stopping moment along the trail. I probably have watched his Belmont over a hundred times, and I could probably recite it word for word by now. I remember exactly where I was when he crossed that wire first I was hot walking a horse named Castlederg w

OBS June Sales Results!

Here is how my Selected Yearlings breezed and sold at the recent OBS June Horses of Racing Age Sale. Hip 106 Uncle Mo- Paint Me Red sold for $105,000 to Olin Gentry and Dennis O'Neil causing a $55,000 loss off her yearling purchase price of $160,000.  Hip 112 Quality Road- Party Chatter sold for $240,000 to Justin Casse making a $110,000 profit off her yearling purchase price of $130,000 Hip 232 Orb- Shine Forth was a $72,000 RNA Hip 276 Strong Mandate- Starship Scarlett sold for $50,000 to Nick Hines causing a $90,000 loss off his yearling purchase price of $140,000. Hip 332 Dialed In- Top Trick sold for $110,000 to Joe Sharp making a $10,000 profit off his yearling price of $100,000 Hip 411 "Random Number" Uncle Mo- Afleet Lass sold for $27,000 to Uncle Mo Racing causing a $213,000 loss off his yearling purchase price of $240,000 Hip 494 Speightstown- Blueeyesintherein sold for $100,000 to Eddie Plesa J

Fasig Tipton Midlantic Two Year Old Sale Update!

My Selected Yearlings recently went through the ring at the Fasig Midlantic sale heres how they worked and how they sold. (Click the links for workout videos) Hip 61 Jimmy Creed- Arizion  sold for $57,000 to DM Cooper making a $7,000 profit off his yearling price of $50,000. Hip 109 Speightstown- Blueeyesintherein   was a $190,000 RNA Hip 212 Goldencents- Fallseed  was a $49,000 RNA Hip 220 Will Take Charge- Fast Tigress   was a $19,000 RNA Hip 252 Union Rags- Heavenly Pride  sold for $20,000 to Trin-Brook Stable causing a $180,000 loss of his yearling purchase price of $200,000. Hip 278 Mucho Macho Man- Itsagiantcauseway  sold for $625,000 to Michael Lund Peterson making a $530,000 profit off his yearling purchase price of $95,000. Hip 359 Street Sense- Miss Emelina  sold for $200,000 to Kagele Bros, Ken Shaw, Mike Machowsky, Agent. Making a $80,000 profit off his yearling price of $120,000. Hip 565 Medaglia D'Oro- Tapicat  sold for $1,200,000 to Dennis O'Neil