Skip to main content

Deeper Look Number Seven

19. Vinceremos
Pioneerof The Nile- Kettle's Sister by More Than Ready
Career Statistics:
Starts: 5
Firsts: 2
Seconds: 2
Thirds: 0
Earnings: $225,266

Connections: 
Jockey: Julien R. Leparoux
Trainer: Todd A. Pletcher
Owner: WinStar Farm LLC and Twin Creeks Racing Stables, LLC

Derby Points: 20 

Class: Worries abot class here as the Tampa Bay Derby field hasn't really proven themselves elsewhere. He looks like another Derby flopper and the only chance he has is if some of the others get horrendous trips or don't show up. He will probably be around 40-1 post time, and he probably deserves those odds. He hasn't shown anything that would make me even consider him a live long shot here. 

Pedigree: By red hot sire Pioneerof The Nile that gives him a dose of speed and stamina. He's out of a Maryland bred mare who never won a race, and competed at the claiming level. His broodmare sire More Than Ready was a horse who did his best running in sprints and tends to pass that on to all of his foals. This is another pedigree geared strongly towards distances up to a mile. 

Overall Opinion: Vinceremos is a horse that hasn't shown he seriously belongs in this group and is probably going to be a complete toss in the Derby. 

Final Decision: Vinceremos is a pretender. 

20. Harry's Holiday 
Harlan's Holiday- Daisy Mason by Orientate 
Career Statistics:
Starts: 8
Firsts: 3
Seconds: 2
Thirds: 1
Earnings: $186,882

Connections: 
Jockey: Rosie Napravnik
Trainer: Michael J. Maker
Owner: Skychai Racing LLC, Sand Dollar Stable LLC, Raymond, T. and Wagner, J. 

Derby Points: 20 

Class: Worries about his class, he is another who hasn't shown he really belongs in this group. He also hasn't really shown much on dirt that would warrant a serious look. He is probably one that will be better on synthetics in the future. He is not much to look at and doesn't run like he belongs. Another complete toss come Derby day. 

Pedigree: By Harlan's Holiday which gives a major dose of miler speed. Harry's Holiday is out of a Orientate mare which is another major dose of sprinter speed. This is yet another pedigree geared towards sprinting or mile distances. This one will probably do better sprinting on either the turf or synthetics in the future. 

Overall Opinion: Another that has no serious chance here and will do better at shorter distances in the future. 

Final Decision: Harry's Holiday is a pretender. 

21. Commanding Curve 
Master Command- Mother by Lion Hearted 
Career Statistics:
Starts: 6
Firsts: 1
Seconds: 1
Thirds: 2
Earnings: $142,434 

Connections: 
Jockey: Robby Albarado
Trainer: Dallas Stewart
Owner: West Point Thoroughbreds 

Derby Points: 20 

Class: Took a major step forward in the Louisiana Derby and I look for him to take another step forward in the Derby. I like his deep closing style and with all the speed in this years Derby he could be a serious threat to fill out the bottom of the exotics like his stablemate Golden Soul did last year. He is a improving colt and at this time that's exactly what you want to be. 

Pedigree: Master Command on top gives him a good dose of stamina. His Mother was primarily a sprinter and she was by Lion Hearted who also did his best running in sprints. There is some concern about his distance capabilities, but the way he runs I think he will be just fine here in the Derby. 

Overall Opinion: He's an improving colt and with time he could be a serious threat later in the year if he holds together. 

Final Decision: Commanding Curve is a contender. 

How They Shake Out 

Pretenders: 

(In Order of least preference) 

1.Harry's Holiday 

2. Vinceremos 

3.Vicar's In Trouble 

4.We Miss Artie 

5.Chitu  

6. Tapiture 

7.Intense Holiday  

8.Samraat 

9. Uncle Sigh

10.Dance With Fate

Contenders: 

(In order of highest preference) 

1.Hoppertunity 

2.Candy Boy 

3.Commanding Curve  

4.California Chrome

5.Ride On Curlin  

6.Danza

7. Wicked Strong

8.General A Rod

9. Wildcat Red

10.Medal Count 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triple Crown Reactions

I got into horse racing way back in 2004 thanks to a plucky little chestnut horse named Smarty Jones who swept through the Kentucky Derby and Preakness with devastating ease I thought for sure even with my limited horse racing knowledge at that time that he would be racings 12th Triple Crown winner. My hopes were dashed as another plucky little colt named Birdstone swept on by him and dashed all my hopes in that final heartbreaking furlong.  The Triple Crown is part of what fueled my love for this sport at such a young age, and after Smarty Jones I spent most of my life thinking I would never have the privilege to witness a Triple Crown winner. So when American Pharoah came along I relished every hoofbeat, every race-call, and every heart stopping moment along the trail. I probably have watched his Belmont over a hundred times, and I could probably recite it word for word by now. I remember exactly where I was when he crossed that wire first I was hot walking a horse named Castlederg w

Ode To The Place That Made Me

Some people say that your home should tell the story of who you are and be a collection of what you love and hold most dear, well to me my home has always been at Canterbury Park. I yearned for those summers every single day of my young life I literally had a countdown started on my phone from the moment the meet closed for the winter. It was the one thing that kept me going through those long tough winters in school, It helped me discover so many things about myself and taught me so many life lessons. It was the place that really shaped who I became. My first experience at Canterbury Park actually happened before I could walk or even form memories, My Mom and Dad knew someone who worked at Canterbury and through that connection, we were able to get a photo in the winners circle. I was just a young child in the photo and I didn't even look at the camera, but it was just the beginning of my long future with Canterbury Park. Fittingly the horse that won the race we got the photo for

Fasig Tipton Midlantic Two Year Old Sale Update!

My Selected Yearlings recently went through the ring at the Fasig Midlantic sale heres how they worked and how they sold. (Click the links for workout videos) Hip 61 Jimmy Creed- Arizion  sold for $57,000 to DM Cooper making a $7,000 profit off his yearling price of $50,000. Hip 109 Speightstown- Blueeyesintherein   was a $190,000 RNA Hip 212 Goldencents- Fallseed  was a $49,000 RNA Hip 220 Will Take Charge- Fast Tigress   was a $19,000 RNA Hip 252 Union Rags- Heavenly Pride  sold for $20,000 to Trin-Brook Stable causing a $180,000 loss of his yearling purchase price of $200,000. Hip 278 Mucho Macho Man- Itsagiantcauseway  sold for $625,000 to Michael Lund Peterson making a $530,000 profit off his yearling purchase price of $95,000. Hip 359 Street Sense- Miss Emelina  sold for $200,000 to Kagele Bros, Ken Shaw, Mike Machowsky, Agent. Making a $80,000 profit off his yearling price of $120,000. Hip 565 Medaglia D'Oro- Tapicat  sold for $1,200,000 to Dennis O'Neil